Sunday, December 28, 2008

Blackout !!!

Around 7 p.m. on the day after Christmas, the entire island lost power due to a storm. Mikayla and I were home at the time. Luckily, I have quite a few candles and a few flashlights. I also had water in the fridge. Unfortunately, we didn't have much to eat !!! When the blackout hit, I hadn't prepared dinner yet. But, Mikayla and I had each finished a bowl of cereal to tide us over until meal time. (Yes, we eat dinner pretty late sometimes).

When the power went out, I lit the candles and we sat around figuring out what we would do. I used my cell phone to send T a msg on Yahoo Msgr, so he'd know what was going on. My cell phone battery was dying, and I did not want to go out to the car in the storm. Of course, I had no idea when he'd be able to read the message, but I thought I'd notify him anyway.

Mikayla and I sat in the living room for a bit, trying to figure out what we'd do. My hope was that the blackout would be short-lived, but there really was no telling how long it would last. My cousin, J, text messaged me to see if I was okay.

I decided to do something productive and tidy up my bedroom by candlelight. Mikayla kept me company by wrapping some birthday gifts in my room for a birthday party she was to attend on Saturday. I went through my closet pulling out shoes and clothes I plan to donate to Goodwill. That kept us busy for a little while.

Then, we got hungry and searched the kitchen for something we could eat. Unfortunately, I don't have one of those propane stoves, so we had to settle for chips and salsa. Thank God for the bowl of cereal we had eaten earlier !!! *Note to self: buy propane stove!!!

Then, we decided to play the video game on her cell phone. To this day, I still hold the high score for that game, and I really have no idea how I did it! *LOL* Mikayla has been trying for almost a year to beat that score but still has not. We challenged each other during the blackout. Somehow, I managed to beat my own high score !!! *LOL* Eventually, the battery on her phone died so we stopped.

We kept looking outside and saw that everything was pitch black. At 11 p.m., we decided to go to sleep. We got up a few times during the night to check on thing but still no electricity.

The next morning (yesterday), I woke up and immediately went to the bathroom to brush my teeth. We slept in that morning (Saturday). It was 10 a.m. I flipped the switch in the bathroom and -- BEHOLD !!! -- electricity !!! YAYYYY !!!

Well, we survived the night with no electricity, but unfortunately, the groceries didn't make it. I had to throw out a lot of the stuff I had JUST BOUGHT on Friday! UGHHHH !!!! Last night, we went out and bought all new groceries to replace what had to be thrown out.

Early this morning, I got a text message from T. He had just read the messages I sent and was checking to make sure Mikayla and I were okay. I was glad to hear from him and happy to let him know that the worst was just some groceries spoiling. I guess I really can't complain when I have several friends complaining about snow where they live!

No comments: