Saturday, January 3, 2009

BURPEES !!!

To start off the new year, I decided to enter a challenge with a group of people on a fitness site. We all committed to doing a certain amount of burpees each. Burpees are similar to squat thrusts with the exception of an explosive jump at the end of the count. It's a great cardiovascular exercise and is said to be the ultimate exercise. Try it and see how quickly you get winded and how much your body aches the following day!

Here is a link to a short instructional video explaining how to do a burpee (without the jump at the end, though). This video is great because the instructor is a woman. I know some women prefer to see other women executing exercise moves -- makes it seem more achievable for them.



Well, I kicked off the new year with a set of fifty purpees from 12:04 a.m. to just shy of 12:09 a.m. I was pumped and wanted to start the new year off right!!! I did my second set of fifty later on in the day. I haven't finalized my workout plan for 2009, so I'm not positive as to how many burpees I will do and when. I'm hoping to use this weekend to figure out my 2009 workout.

I tend to do what I feel like doing without really falling a set schedule. But, this year needs to be different as I have my eye on more specific goals. This year was about maintaining my weight loss -- which I did. I actually even dropped a few more pounds just by eating more healthfully. YAYYYY !!!

If anyone else has any fitness goals for 2009, I wish you all the best! Keeping fit is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself!!!

No comments: